Monday, April 1, 2013

Promised Land. . .

This is my most favorite part of our moving story, and it has been hard to wait to get to this point!  November 10th, the clinic flew us out for an all weekend interview.  My job was to observe, listen, ask questions only when necessary, and decide whether Scott and these other doctors would be a good fit together.  The Wednesday before we left, Scott was called into a difficult meeting.  At the same time, I had looked up houses for sale in this area to see if we could even afford it or what the area was like.  I found one with the same colors and decor as ours, and it seemed affordable.  I was also impressed with the area's parks and the proximity to Nashville, so I texted Scott that there was hope--this might be a possibility.  Even if he was having a terrible meeting, he could rest in the fact that I thought it was worth checking out the north side of Nashville if he felt this group would allow him to use his gifts/skills.  He had already been impressed with the last couple of conversations with them, and since they wanted to fly us out so quickly, we at least felt that was an indication they were truly interested in him.  We flew in early Sat. morning, toured the clinic, met with some of the partners, ate lunch with everyone, and then a friend of theirs who was a realtor took us around the area.  We were especially interested, because we had never been there, and we wanted to see neighborhoods, parks, shopping, library etc.  The house I had seen online had already sold, so I didn't plan on looking at any houses at the time.  One neighborhood we came to had a pool with a toddler playground fenced off and attached to it.  I was so excited, because often one kid wants to swim and the other one doesn't, and it's difficult to watch a toddler who just wants to run around a pool!  Then we turned onto a street, and I realized it was the same street as the house I had liked that had just sold.  As we were leaving the neighborhood, I strained to look back at what the neighborhood was called in case we ever ended up needing to look at houses.  I loved the community pool, and across the way was a huge park where the girls could play, we could walk as a family, or possibly they could be involved in sports.  The neighborhood was called "Twelve Stones Crossing."  I catalogued it away in my brain as a good area to live in but thought nothing more about it.
We got back late that night from having a nice dinner with the clinic doctors so we did not talk much about it all.  Because we did not have the girls with us, I was looking forward to sleeping in before church that Sunday morning.  I awoke at 6:30am and could not sleep.  All night long I had been hearing "12 Stones. 12 Stones. 12 Stones" in my head, so I had not slept well.  I kind of started to panic when I awoke.  How would we know where we were supposed to go?  Should we still be thinking Northwest Arkansas?  I even got online to see what job openings a children's hospital had for their clinics in Fort Worth (that's where my parents live right now).  We had also networked with other physicians at the AAP conference in October.  Could we really get a different, private clinic to work in Waco?  But he'd have to drop privileges at the hospital in order for the call and inpatient demands to change, and we didn't feel like this was a positive.  I asked Scott, "what are you going to do?"  These thoughts were flooding my brain, and I was getting very anxious.  Then I said, "we need to pray.  I'm getting confused."  So I prayed and asked God to lead us and show us the land we are to live, just like He showed Abraham in the Bible.  I asked for Him to give us the fire and cloud to guide us, just like He did for the Israelites wandering through the desert.    Then I stopped and said to Scott "I don't know whether to ask for another sign or what."  The Scott started praying.  When he stopped, I asked him what Bible story the 12 stones were in.  I knew they were about the 12 tribes of Israel, but I couldn't place the exact story.  I told him how I had heard "12 Stones" all night in my head (and hadn't slept well) and that the name of the neighborhood was "Twelve Stones Crossing."  He said he hadn't even thought about it but that he guessed Joshua and Jericho and then started looking in his Bible.  I googled "12 Stones and Joshua" and Joshua 4:3 was the first thing that came up.  Only a part of the verse was written, and some of the words were missing, so it just said something like "Joshua instructed them to place 12 stones in the Jordan."  Then I started crying when it all clicked--12 stones, crossing the Jordan--and I said, "didn't Joshua take them (the Israelites) into the Promised Land?"  So Scott turned to the passage and read all of Joshua 4 about how the waters of the Jordan were raging and overflowing, but as soon as the Ark of the Covenant (God's presence) was in the water, the water stopped flowing there, and the Israelites walked across on dry ground into the Promised Land they had been awaiting.  Joshua commanded the tribes to each pick up a stone, and after everyone had crossed, they placed the stones on the other side as a memorial. We were quite stunned and tears were streaming down our faces.
Joshua 4:20-24  And those twelve stones, which they took out of the Jordan, Joshua set up at Gilgal. And he said to the people of Israel, "When your children ask their fathers in times to come, ‘What do these stones mean?’ then you shall let your children know,‘Israel passed over this Jordan on dry ground.’ For the Lord your God dried up the waters of the Jordan for you until you passed over, as the Lord your God did to the Red Sea, which he dried up for us until we passed over, so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty, that you may fear the Lord your God forever.”
It was at this moment that we received our 3rd sign.  We knew this meant that the Nashville area was the land we were supposed to live in, possibly our "Promised Land."  We weren't certain enough to say this was the exact neighborhood we were to live or the exact clinic (because there were others starting to be interested in Scott), but we felt it was pretty clear we were not to look anywhere else.  I found it funny that none of it clicked for me the day before, because God's timing was for us to realize it together when we could read the whole story straight from the Bible.  The restaurant at the neighborhood was called "Joshua's," but even then it didn't stick out to me.  This developer was very intentional about this name--it wasn't just "Twelve Stones anything"  It was "Twelve Stones Crossing."  I have mentioned before that I have felt the Israelites' journey through the wilderness has been a definite theme in our lives the past few years, so it was completely shaking us that this was all culminating in this one moment.  We felt very at peace about the where; now it was time to answer "what?"

1 comment:

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} said...

Isn't God something?!?! Oh, the things He can do! I have tried to comment on a few other posts over the last month, but always from my phone and the comment doesn't go through. (On my computer this time, so hope it works!). Send me an email when you are settled. I've lost yours. Praying God meets you in every single moment of every day. Hugs!